The time between Thanksgiving and New Years always seems to bee chock full of marriage proposals. I'm not sure if it is all that family time that puts us in the mood or all the weight gain that says I'll never meet someone else that gets me like you do. Either way, it is a special time of year and Congratulations. So you're engaged, now what? Most people have some type of vision in mind for their wedding and then it seems like as soon as you're engaged it all goes out the window. Your engagement period should be a fun and exciting time for you and your significant other, not stressed out planning mode. So here are a few steps you can take in the first month or two to keep that stress in check.
- Set a time frame. It will help give direction and a timeline for all of your other planning aspects. Give yourself some flexibility with your dates to make it easier to book your venue.
- Sit down with your fiance and family members who may be helping with costs and hash out a budget. Get things out in the open now, it can get heated if you go in over your head. It will also help you prioritize where to put your funds when you know your limits.
- Hire a planner. I know some people don't feel like they need one but it will really help you take the stress out and make everything so much more streamlined. Especially for a destination wedding, they will be able to give you great advice on your vendors and venues with insights you may have never thought of. I ALWAYS recommend a day of coordinator to keep on top of all those little details on your wedding day as well.
- Find your venue. This is probably your most important step. Once this is done you're practically half way there. It will help determine your guest list, style and remaining budget.
- Start working on your guest list. As I have said in previous posts, the number one factor to save on your budget is to keep that guest list tight. I know it can be difficult. I recommend making three lists one of your absolute musts. Make a second list of those who you would be happy to have with you. The third list of those that you would invite on an unlimited budget but it won't ruin your day if you don't see their face at your wedding.
- Have fun! Remember to set aside some time to not think about your wedding. Don't let your whole relationship revolve around your wedding day.
Congratulations to all those newly engaged couples out there! Hope this will help you to get started in your blissful wedding planning. Contact us at Caribbean Catering to get started on planning your big day down here in Islamorada!!